Thursday 10 March 2016

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Hey Guys,

I literally just finished this book, wow. So, today I'm going to be reviewing Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. I'm kind of late on the band wagon with this one, but not too late.

This book went in a direction I didn't expect, the way the story all came together at the end was fabulous. I really enjoyed the part all the characters played in it, and I can't wait to read the second one.

It is a dystopian novel in which the people are segregated. There are silvers and reds. The silvers have abilities and are the overlords, whilst the reds are normal and are the maids or sometimes slaves. Anyway, it follows a red girl, who finds out she has an ability, and she is taken to the palace to 'hide in plain sight'.

It was an interesting read, though it did take a while to get started. I'm trying to read more dystopian so I can say more about the genre when people ask me about it. Other than the obvious: Hunger Games.



So there we go another review. I've just only begun to realize just how fantastic I'm being at keeping to my new schedule. Look at this character development. Anyway, all you non-spoilery people who haven't read this yet I will see you soon. Don't forget to purchase Lady Midnight and read it with us; click the 'Infinite Philosophy' picture in the side bar to purchase it. Good bye non-spoilery people...

Welcome to my silver of spoilers...

So as much as I don't want to, I will start from the beginning and work my way through. So I will admit, I did think it was a little slow to start up. It took me until about 100 pages in to be like: OK this isn't bad. I enjoyed this sort of futuristic take on racism and slavery.
So we start with Mare stealing stuff, I liked how our character was a thief, it's hard to explain why, but it made sense with the story.
I found the family dynamic to be really interesting. I was minor-ly (new word) shocked to see that they were all depending on Gisa, the little sister, to provide for them in the future. I have personally never had a real sibling, but I have people close enough to fill that slot, and depending on them would be crazy.
Let's move this along...
When Mare touched the generator and it came back on, I suspected her powers might link to electricity. When she fell from the box and into the lighting shield, the author was trying to create suspense, but I was just like: umm there's another 400 pages of this, so she can't die. It was still worrying.

What I also found really strange, was the hostility towards Mare from the royal family. I understand their reasons towards the end, but at the beginning I felt they could have been more sympathetic and less blameful.

I enjoyed seeing her powers grow and be refined; I also found her likeability really interesting. I know a lot of the silvers didn't like her, but people she'd met for more than a second seemed to like her. One thing I personally thought was under-explained was the importance of the fact that she could create energy as well as manipulate it.

The revolution was something I was not expecting to happen; when she joined up I could tell it was just going to go south. Every time they did something Mare was shocked and hated, I was hoping she would pull out in time, she didn't.

One more thing before we talk about.... you know. I was pleasantly surprised with the way Victoria tackled love, I enjoyed the way at the beginning Mare had quite a few love interests but they were all torn away from her, and although she probably will still have one, at the end it didn't feel like she did. I was also expecting Kilorn to become a sort of Aspen (from the selection) like character, but he never did.

The twist.
I was actually spoiled for the twist, I wasn't told what happened, only that there was one, which I still count. Anyway, it took me by complete surprise. I didn't fully register it until Mare was asking Maven to help her and he wouldn't. The whole book I was theorising that something would go down with Miss Bitch Queen: Elara, but not Maven. The entire book there were clues I didn't pick up on, but thinking back I can see how they were worked in. I genuinely thought Maven, although annoyed with his position, was a nice guy. I was beginning to trust him, like him and except him as the love interest but then, Oh No, he then has to go and betray everyone. Jeez.
I could go on.

I have so much more I could say, but if I did this would be incredibly long- not that it already isn't. I hope you enjoyed my rant; I also plan to start making my spoiler sections more in depth, like this. Feel free to leave a comment to tell me what you though, I would really appreciate it and I will see you soon.
 - A

No comments:

Post a Comment