Wednesday 30 March 2016

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Hey guys,

I know, once again it's been a while since I posted but I've been swept into the wonderful world of netflix, and it's been hard to shake those ropes. It's addictive. Also I struggle with main post ideas, I don't main post much because I personally find it hard to plan a main post. Alas, I am actually here to review An Ember in the Ashes, so on with the show.

My immediate reaction was shock honestly, it really threw me into the deep end, without preparation. I struggled to learn the world, and I had to have a proper look at the map to understand were everything was, but it was an interesting way to force understanding upon the reader.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, even though I found it hard to get the world, I got into the book quite quickly. The characters were super lovable and I truly felt for them with what they were going through. You know it's a good book when you're still up reading at bordering 3:00 in the morning! Seriously that's around the time I finished it. But I definitely recommend.





So there we go. You may have noticed that it is nearing quite drastically the end of the month, this should mean the AIP book talk. I don't what's happening with that right now, but I don't promise that it will be going up on time, sorry.
Anyway, if you haven't read this book, I recommend you leave now, go read it, then come back. If, however, you have read this fabulous book, then continue on...

Welcome to my desert of spoilers...

We are greeted with this whole scene with the Martial's (think) in which, Laia's grandparents are killed and Darin is taken. The whole time Laia was telling herself that she was a coward and weak, I was quite shocked, we don't usually get that level of self beating in a character. I love how through the book we really saw how strong she was, even when she didn't see it herself.

At the beginning I didn't really like Elias but I grew to have a lot more respect for the guy towards the end. I was curious to why he wanted to desert until we got to see how evil Blackcliff could be. In the end I totally loved the guy and was not expecting him to be sentenced to death.

As soon as the trials were brought up, I could see them coming, so that didn't really shock me. What I wasn't expecting was The Commandment to want to kill Elias. I get how she didn't love him, and tried to kill him at birth, but that seems a little extreme. The actual trials really shocked me as well, the worst one was the third one, which I believe was the one where they had to kill all there friends in the battle, correct me if I am wrong. All the way through that I thought the augurs would bring the people back afterwards, but they stayed dead.
The augurs reminded me a lot of the silent brothers from The Shadowhunter Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, they a similar all powerful feeling to me, and the same relationships with our main characters.

I was so suspicious of the resistance, I suspected Mazen straight after the first meeting. He was so vague about the details surrounding Darin. The further we progressed the more suspicious I got, after Cook made her speech about the resistance, I was practically yelling at the book: Come On! Don't trust that guy!

I was really appreciative of Izzi and her friendship, she really helped Laia with a lot. I feel the book would have been very different if she been there to calm Laia's storms.

Finally I want to talk ships. I think as of right now, I really like Helene and Elias plus Laia and Keenan. I could easily be swayed to Laia and Elias if it happened, I not certain, but I could go with any relationships working right now.

So that is all for today, I would love it if you commented your opinion on the book. Keep an eye out for the collab chat with Lady Midnight. I will see you soon.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment