Tuesday 22 March 2016

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare

Hey Guys,

I'm so sorry at the length of time it's been since I've posted, don't worry I feel the shame. I have been swamped with school work and I have had a few tests recently and I have more to look forward to. Plus which it's taken me an age to read Lady Midnight, it's a big book and I wanted to savour it. So if you were unaware Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare is our 'An Infinite Philosophy' book of the month for March. So far I am the only one who's read it, but I would say I am also the biggest Cassandra Clare fan out of the three of us. This has been a really long intro, apologies, onto the review.

So Lady Midnight is the first book in a new shadow hunters series, I believe it's going to be a trilogy, but I am not 100% on that. My overall thoughts, I enjoyed it immensely, but I would rank it my least favourite of her series, but I have only read book one so that might change.

With her other series you could possibly get away with not reading the others, but with this one it's very important that you read The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices first. You could be spoiled for those series, or some parts you just won't understand.

So there we go, I am sorry about my lack of posting recently. There will hopefully be a live show at the end of this month on this book. You can click the link in the side bar --> to purchase it, and I will see all of you non-spoilerys later...

Welcome to my ocean of spoilers...

So, how excited are you to be here? I was very exited myself to have a female main character who was already a badass. We had Tessa who, as much as I liked her, was a little soppy. We had Clary, who floundered for the better part of the series, and now we have Emma who is already a fantastic shadowhunter.

We met Emma in the last Mortal Instuments book, just after she had found out about her parents deaths. I found it strange that she was still investigating. If it had been me I would leave it un-explained for fear of finding something I didn't want to.

I didn't connect to Emma much through the book, but I still felt her pain. Cameron Ashdown, oh my god, he was so annoying, we didn't get much from him, but hell it was like he was always there. I was interested about Ty, he had a problem with him that came into play a lot and it bothered me that we never got a name or resolution on that, we do still have two books though.

I think every time the characters mentioned anyone from the Mortal Instruments or Infernal Devices I was gone. I think my favourite thing ever was the fact that Alec and Magnus (Malec) adopted Max. That was so fantastically amazing. I enjoyed Emma's relationships with Clary and Jace as well as Jem and Tessa, mainly because it meant we were closer to them.

I was not expecting the necromancer to be Malcolm. When they mentioned raising people from the dead, my initial thought was that it was the circle trying to raise Valentine, but that was quickly shut down. I felt awful about how in his last moments all Malcolm did was explain to Emma what had happened because he wanted someone to know. I actually liked Malcolm and thought he was doing OK in the missing presence of Magnus.

Finally, we have the whole situation with Jules. I was so annoyed last book when Emma agreed to be parabatai, it was so obvious they were going to fall in love. I hated how there trust with eachother began to dwindle towards the end of the book, I hope their relationship isn't permanantly ruined.

That's all for today's spoiler section. I'm sorry once again for my absence recently, but you know how life can get. I know this wasn't too in depth, but I'm saving that for the live show that may or may not happen. Hopefully it will, but get too excited. Feel free to comment your opinion on the book, and send any question you wish via Instagram.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment