Sunday 4 September 2016

Asking For It by Louise O'Neill

Hey Guys,

I just got back from my holiday and I'm now beginning to binge write loads of posts to prepare for back to school so I'm prepared for anything. I finished this book way back at the beginning of the summer so my opinions may be a bit rusty but it's a book  I really wanted to review. Today I'll be reviewing Asking For It by Louise O'Neill.
I was lucky enough to meet this author a YALC where I got her other book Only Ever Yours signed. Shall we advance with the non spoilery section.

My first impression after reading this was that it wasn't as good as Only Ever Yours, but after letting it sit for a bit I would that it isn't worst, it's just different. It was a lot more realistic and more real themes. I think the character in this book were really interesting because as people you wouldn't like them but you still sympathise with them. I think the situation in the book is something society is still facing and dealing with and it's not really getting better.

The main character in this novel is called Emma and she is extremely pretty and flaunts it and gets a lot of attention from boys. She doesn't have a great relationship with her friends, and flirts with boys that her friends like. The main theme of book is easy to guess from the title of the book but if you haven't guessed I won't spoil it for you.






This where I leave all of the non spoilerys, I recommend this book highly, as well as Only Ever Yours. The author is lovely and her books really highlight problems that have been normalised in every day society even though they are awful. They tackle feminism from different sides and angles and I would recommend her highly.
Leave now if you haven't read it and I'll see you soon.

Welcome to my gang of spoilers...

I think the change in reflection of Emma on her surrounding friends and family was really well emphasised by the fact the story was told in two parts, almost a before and after of the incident.
In the beginning Emma is seen as your typical popular girl she is hated by a lot of people who aren't super close to her, but she is still awed and looked up to by a lot of people.
She isn't a character you want to sympathise with even though what she's going through is extremely hard and especially hard on her and her family.

Every one in the family except her older brother seemed to want to keep on this face of perfection. They seemed barbie-ish to the outside world, and were happy for Emma to drop her rape charges in order for them to feel more normal. I feel like the family had really negative impact on Emma whilst she was trying to get through it all. She eventually descends into depression and anxiety and we see her make several attempts at suicide.

Her friends didn't offer much support either, the first day after they shun Emma before even letting her explain herself, and afterwards when two of the girls are visiting her they seem very concerned and are even in relationships with Emma's rapist.
I think the novel really shows how quickly things can get out of hand, and how easy it is for one little mistake to really destroy your life. In an age before social media and easy Internet access the rape is something that could have been forgotten about, or at least been kept more private; the pictures are what really makes the huge impact on Emma.

The only character who actually plays a real support role in the book is Emma's childhood friend Conor he continues to send Emma inspiring messages throughout her darkest times. She regrets not staying with him the night of the rape, instead of attending the parties.

One character I would like to know more about is Jamie, she is seen through Emma's eyes as not a real friend. It is later revealed that she too was raped by one of Emma's rapists, I'm not sure if that's the only reason they fell out though. An interesting thing is that Emma tells Jamie not to report the rape as 'something like that doesn't go away' which is an awful prediction on Emma herself.

A line that is frequently repeated through the novel is 'leg's spread, pink flesh' or something along those lines. It's a line Emma repeats to herself quite frequently, I think part of the reason for her deteriorating mental state is the fact that she herself won't move on. She continues to bring up her reactions and emotions to the images.

I think something Emma could have used was a tighter web of support, the only support she let herself feel was that from strangers. An example is the 'team ....' T Shirts, a lot of people who she used to consider friends wore a shirt with the name of one of Emma's rapists on it showing their support to that particular person. Someone commented asking about Team Emma shirts and someone responded with hate towards her.

I think something that really played against Emma and her recovering was her own pride and jealousy, she wants to be seen as the best and most attractive and she lost it all that night. She doesn't really want to be seen in her 'new state'. It's mentioned that she has gained a bit of weight during her attempt at recovery which is also something she'd like to hide.

I didn't like this one as much as Only Ever ours. I think it's because instead of being an exaggerated dystopian reflection on our society, it's something that is a problem now. It was lot more real and deals with a lot mental illness.

I hope you enjoyed this review, I would recommend Louise O'Neill to anyone who isn't impressionable as they can have a harsh impact. And just to say in the victim of rape it is NEVER the victim's fault and they are NEVER 'Asking For It'. However, women do have a responsibility to keep their alcohol intake low enough to be able to consent. I will see you very soon.
Happy Reading!

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment