Tuesday 9 February 2016

The Reading Slump

Hello and welcome to my story with the reading slump. It was last week, that I fell into a slump. I felt I would never escape, that my reading days were over. But, I found the way, and I would like to share that with you; the way forward, the way to put a stop to the slump. Use the hash tag #stoptheslump to show your support with this emotional journey.

Hey guys,

I hope you liked my drama piece at the beginning. I think it helped set the mood. So if you hadn't picked it up yet, today I am going to be discussing the reading slump. The bane of every readers life. I thought I would give you the types of slump, prevention tactics and how to escape. Here we go...

1.The Mourning Period
What is the Mourning Period? you ask. Well I'll answer; the mourning period is that dead feeling you get when you finish a book. That period of time where you can't get over a book/series, it was just too life changing. That is the Mourning Period.
Prevention Tactics: There really are none. Just prepare yourself for escape.
Escape: The power through. It is important that, even if you don't think you can, you keep reading. You must pick up book after book until one sticks with you. If one distracts you from the previous book, keep reading that author. This may, however, lead to other types of slump.

2. The Burnout
The Burnout, more common in some than others. I am quite prone to this, yet; What is it? the burnout is when you read too much too fast. You power through only to find an end to the power, that my friends is the Burnout.
Prevention Tactics: Read in moderate amounts, you don't need to read 18 books a week.
Escape: Powering through doesn't really work. You just need to take a small break, give yourself a day or two then continue in moderate amounts.

3. The Colleen High
This is often lead from the powering through. It can happen with any author, but for me is quite common with Miss Colleen Hoover. This is simply when you think your out of slump but yet you don't want to read anything other than Colleen books. And, when you run out, you're back in the slump. It is a real problem, OK.
Prevention Tactics: Don't read all the same author, it can be hard, but mix it up a bit. Even if it's slowly at first, just throw in some other authors her and there.
Escape: Try the same genre as the author you've become obsessed with, until you feel confident with other authors. Also, try reading a book you know you'll love, even if it's a re-read.

4. The What is Happening? Why Can't I Read?
This one may seem strange but it is surprisingly common. You know that feeling when, you're enjoying what your reading, but it's hard to bring yourself to pick up a book. It is weird but annoying slump and has no real cause. It is spontaneous and deadly.
Prevention Tactics: There is no cause, so no prevention. Just. Be. Prepared.
Escape: You simply need to pick up the book and read it. You will realise that you are enjoying it and you will want to read it.

So there you go, it was a short but powerful post. Don't forget to pick up the book of the month Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys, it's fantastic. I hope you enjoyed the post, it's something that any book person must talk about some way. Refer to this post at any time of need, and I will see you soon.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment